Wednesday, August 25, 2010

Featured Crafter: Hillery Sproatt

What led you to pursue crafting?

I always loved making things. I don't think it was so much a choice as it chose me. It seemed to be what I was best at.

What materials do you prefer and why?

I use mostly National Geographics from the 1950's-1980's when making collages. I think I prefer those years in part because of the imagery but also because the colors are so wonderful. The ink on the page is less saturated, it is more like hints of color. I also love to paint with gouache because it is very delicate.

I use lots of 100% natural linen, vintage cutting room scraps, and 100% wool felt that I order from Japan to make my embroidered objects. My mom is a woman's apparel designer; her company is called Rebe. I use lots of her fabric scraps as well to make my dolls and mobiles. She sources beautiful fabrics from all over the world. You can visit her site at www.myrebe.com.

What is your process like?

I am an intuitive maker. I don't often go into making with a plan. I try to look carefully at what I am making as I make it. I respond to what is happening in the work and go from there. I find it more fun that way and sometimes I end up somewhere I never imagined I'd be. I play.

What do you hope to achieve with your work (professionally and personally)?

I would love to have a store of found and handmade objects. It is my favorite dream. I hope to always be making things and support myself entirely by my handmade goods.

What advice do you have for other aspiring crafters?

Always be making even when it's not going well. Have fun. I often struggle with both of these things, but I've found that I make my favorite things when I remember them!

Do you consider yourself an "indie" crafter?

I am not sure I know what that means. I just think I am a maker of things.

Tell us something most people don't know about you.

I cry much too hard at movies - even the bad ones.


Visit Hillery's website at www.hilleryrs.com to read more about her work. She also has an Etsy shop and will be selling her work (along with her mother) at the Renegade Craft Fair in Chicago on September 11th-12th.

Images courtesy of Hillery Sproatt. Profile picture taken by Matthew Yake.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I love the idea of having a store of found and handmade objects. That would be awesome! Very cool how she uses her mother's fabric scraps to make her eye-catching art. :)