Thursday, September 2, 2010

Featured Crafter: Kacey Stafford {Found Studio}

What led you to pursue this particular craft?

Hmmmm...I think it chose me!! I've naturally been drawn to painting and designing since I was small. I've tried every type of media/crafting technique there is (almost) - and I kept coming back to painting. In college, I majored in Art Education which required me to take all types of art classes - printmaking, photography, ceramics, painting, sculpture. Each class enhanced my painting and gave me new ways of looking at and defining my process.

What materials do you use?

I prefer to work with paint and various collage materials. I love using vintage or discarded fabrics, papers, old letters, etc. Not only do I enjoy how these materials look, but it also feels good to know that I am re-purposing and re-using!!

Describe your process.

I am constantly looking for inspiration from nature, vintage items in antique/thrift stores, magazines - I love tearing out images that inspire me - I keep a notebook of them.

I work in layers. Normally, I start creating a textured collaged and painted background. On top of that collage I paint an image. I keep adding layers until it "feels right."

What do you hope to achieve with your work (professionally and personally)?

I hope to continue making work that inspires me and others. I'm thankful that I'm energized by my work; that it doesn't feel like a chore at this point. When it starts to feel like a chore, I will re-evaluate what I am doing!

Do you consider yourself an "indie artist"?

Yes, I am an "indie artist." I am my own designer, promoter, shipper, bookkeeper, etc. I must give my husband, Scott, some credit here. He often designs displays for me, helps me at shows, and is constantly coming up with clever and efficient suggestions. I have always had such a respect for "indie" artists. I smile to think that now I can consider myself one of them!!

What advice do you have for aspiring independent artists/crafters?

Don't be afraid to just START SOMEWHERE!!! Experiment and play with designs. Once you feel good about your product, then promote it...start and Etsy site, apply for a show. Remember, if you are not confident about your designs, no one else will be!! Be your own biggest fan and advocate. Also, set up a spreadsheet early and make it a habit of keeping up with your expenses...even if you only consider this a hobby. I am not always the best at this but it's the smart thing to do. You will be thankful to be organized come tax season AND this will help you know if you are making any money!

Share something that most people don't know about you.

I create silly things like ceramic bacon and mustaches because I love to see people's reactions to them!! They can make even the most somber customer smile and most folks downright giggle when they see them. It's always good for me to create something that is lighthearted and playful.

To see more work by Found Studio, visit Kacey's Etsy shop at www.foundstudio.etsy.com.

No comments: